|Hank Shaw hunting diver ducks; photo |
by Holly Heyser, aka NorCal Cazadora
Hank is the author of the new book Hunt, Gather, Cook- Finding the Forgotten Feast, as well as the James Beard nominated blog Hunter Angler Gardener Cook. He's been fishing and foraging most of his life, and has more than a few tricks to share in this book for gathering wild greens, selecting fishing gear, plucking pheasants, and gutting deer. He also delves into the procuring process and recipes for far less familiar edibles, like sea robins, daylilies, wild doves, and --yes, it exists!-- dandelion wine.
The dinner this Thursday is part of his national book release tour, and hosted by Hank's duck hunting buddy Sheamus Feeley (who sadly is leaving his position as Farmstead executive chef at the end of July to return to Hillstone Restaurant Group). The family style feast begins with passed appetizers at 6:30pm, and includes a book signing with Hank (and book purchasing if you like; $20 each).
The menu sounds prett-y darn exciting. Check it out:
All of this can be yours for a mere $50 per person, which INCLUDES the excellent wine from Farmstead's parent winery, Long Meadow Ranch. That is a steal.
Call Farmstead to reserve your spot, and be sure to specify it is for the Hank Shaw event. I scored my reservations this weekend, so there are still a few seats left. See you there, I hope!
Farmstead Restaurant, 738 Main Street, St. Helena, 707-963-9181.
- Smoked sturgeon with crema and paddlefish roe
- Wild boar meatballs with tomato marmalade
- Cheddar biscuits with cured ham and apple butter
- Grilled Venison with elderberry conserve
- Mix of wild duck and wild boar sausages with mustard
- Porchetta " Half and Half": wild boar loin, wrapped in a red wattle belly with salsa verde
- Ramp and potato gratin
- Sea beans with chile, garlic and honey
- Purslane and black kale salad with chile pequin and toasted grana
- Salad of porcini mushrooms with preserved lemon, arugula, Carmody cheese and celery
- Roasted rock bass with wild fennel cioppino broth and aioli
- Buttermilk panna cotta with Saskatoon berry gelee