|Photo by Ashley Teplin.|
Candy Cap Mushroom Bread Pudding
Yield: 1- 13x9 pan
- 6 cups heavy cream
- ½ cup dried candy cap mushrooms
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 whole eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 ¼ loaves brioche
- ¼ cup dried currants
- ¼ cup dried golden raisins
- Measure cream into a sauce pot and add dried mushrooms.
- Heat until just simmering. Let infuse for 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, yolks, both sugars, and salt.
- Add cream infusion and vanilla.
- Strain through a very fine strainer, set aside.
- Remove all crust from brioche. Slice into medium sized cubes.
- Layer half of the brioche in the 13x9 pan, sprinkle over half of the currants and half of the raisins.
- Add the rest of the brioche and top with remaining currants and raisins.
- Pour custard over brioche. Gently press down on the top to ensure that the custard has soaked into the brioche well.
- Cover with foil and place pan in a larger pan with water coming half way up the side of the 13x9.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour, rotating half way through.
- Remove the foil and brown top of bread pudding for 10 min.
- Cool bread pudding completely, preferably overnight, and slice into 12 portions.
- Reheat in oven to serve.
For extra candy cap goodness, serve with Todd's recipe for Maple Anglaise Sauce... also made with mushrooms.
Maple Anglaise Sauce
Yield: 1 pint
- 1 ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon dried candy cap mushrooms
- 6 tablespoons maple sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- Measure cream and milk into a sauce pot.
- Add dried mushrooms.
- Heat until just simmering, infuse 1 hour.
- Combine yolks, sugar, and salt in a medium sized bowl.
- Reheat cream infusion to a simmer and temper into egg mixture.
- Return everything to the pot and stir constantly over low heat with a rubber spatula until thickened, but not curdling.
- Strain through a very fine strainer, add vanilla, cover surface with plastic and cool completely before use.
Why are we putting mushrooms in dessert? Check out my earlier post about candy cap mushrooms.